What’s So Great About PHP? [Infographic]
Jenna EricksonAugust 12th, 20156 minute read
Jenna is the Marketing Manager at Codal, blogger, and technology + startup enthusiast. With a responsibility of Codal's marketing programs and brand management, she is always strategizing new ways to reach clients through content and inbound marketing tactics. In her free time, Jenna enjoys traveling, cooking and reading.
As a server side scripting language, PHP is the most widely used language across the web. At the same time, it is one of the most hated languages by developers. Over the last few years, we've seen an increasing fragmentation of server side languages being used, especially with websites adopting Node.js. Despite this, PHP has remained one of the most popular server side programming languages - and there's a reason for that.
The bottom line is choosing a server side language is a solution to a specific problem. PHP serves as this solution for a multitude of applications on the web. Sure, the language itself has downsides, just as any programming language does. The fact remains, PHP will continue to be one of the driving forces on the web.
- PHP has a mild learning curve, so beginners can quickly create dynamic web pages
- It's available on all major hosting providers
- Great selection of frameworks that provide the basis for web apps/sites
- PHP is open source and well documented, and there are thousands of tutorials
- Easily integrates with databases, APIs and other tools
- WordPress and other top content management systems use PHP
- The language is still evolving, with a major performance update coming in October 2015 in PHP7