The AS400 database server, or DB2, is employed by thousands of organizations across the globe to store and retrieve data from mission-critical software applications. But in comparison to more modern platforms like the Microsoft SQL server, the AS400 is an outdated and inefficient solution, especially for large enterprises that manage highly sensitive data and complex workflows.
The number of programmers knowledgeable in AS400 is shrinking every day, while a recent survey of roughly 65,000 developers shows that SQL is one of the top ten databases to work with today. As a result, many businesses are migrating their data from AS400 to SQL, to achieve:
- Lower costs: By moving data from physical servers to SQL’s cloud database, you can avoid long-term financial commitments and take advantage of pay-per-use operating fees.
- Simplified administration: Easier database management means greater operational efficiency. With a user-friendly language, multiple data viewing options, and faster query processing, SQL facilitates a more streamlined version of data management than DB2.
- Stronger security: SQL comes with robust data encryption and cyberthreat prevention, as well as a PCI compliance checker.
- Increased scalability: With a more accessible and efficient database, your company will be more adaptable to new technologies, operational changes, and spikes in demand.
HOW TO MIGRATE FROM AS400 TO SQL SERVER
For a successful AS400 to SQL server migration, partner with an agency like Codal. As experts in software legacy modernization and data migration, we help enterprises leverage the full power of their data so they can cut costs, drive operational efficiency, and optimize revenue. Once you have an agency like Codal in your corner, the process of migrating data from AS400 to SQL becomes much faster, simpler, and more valuable.
Before moving forward with your data migration strategy, here are a few important considerations:
- Data audits: To fully understand your business’ data, all data sources should be audited. This helps prevent unexpected issues from popping up later during the migration.
- Cleanup: Any issues discovered during a data audit should be resolved or “cleaned up.” This may require additional third-party tools.
- Protection and maintenance: Controls must be put in place to maintain data quality and security. If not, data degradation—or the gradual corruption of data due to failures in the storage device—may occur.
- Governance: By implementing automation tools for tracking and reporting data, you can ensure stronger data accuracy and consistency in the long run.
Data migration strategies come in many different forms, as every organization has its own needs and objectives. However, all strategies should follow these basic steps:
- Make a plan: When putting together a data migration strategy, it’s important to understand your business’s priorities and the project’s overall scope. How much data are you planning on moving to SQL? Which data should be migrated first? Which can get left behind? Is there any critical data missing in the original source? Every detail of your migration plan should be documented, from the project timeline, to potential blockers, to the various roles and responsibilities.
- Back up the data: To protect your business against a data loss event, make sure all data is copied and stored elsewhere.
- Run tests: By conducting routine live tests, you can make sure that your migration design and solution are working properly, and that data is not getting lost or corrupted in the process.
Remember, a good data migration team will help guide you through every step of this process, from designing a strategy, to conducting data audits, to implementing tracking tools, to backing up data and running tests.
OTHER DATABASE SOLUTIONS TO CONSIDER
Your data migration partner should also be able to provide insight on which database solution is best for your business. In our experience, we’ve learned that SQL is a great option for AS400-users looking to modernize. However, it’s not the only game in town. Here are some of the other top database solutions out there:
- SAP HANA
- Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS)
GETTING STARTED WITH AS400 LEGACY MODERNIZATION
For growing businesses still relying on outdated AS400 applications and workflows, modernization is a crucial step forward. With a more efficient and secure database, you can maximize the value of your company’s data while also avoiding cyber-attacks and complying with industry standards.
Migrating data from DB2 to SQL could be the perfect solution for your organization. But developing a solid strategy, harnessing the most cutting-edge tools, and running the most effective tests can take up significant time and effort. By partnering with Codal, you can focus on running your business while we plan and execute a data migration strategy tailored to your company’s priorities, technical requirements, and goals for the future.
Interested in learning more about how to migrate from AS400 to SQL server? Get in touch with Codal today!